1.11.2008

Blu-Love


I don't know why I'm so interested/excited about this... but now that the Blu-Ray format is winning the war of HD formats, I feel estatic in my earlier decision a couple years ago to choose Blu-Ray over HD-DVD. Here is the sad part. To this day, I still do not have a HD television, nor do I have an Xbox 360, PlayStation3 or standalone HD disc player/recorder. So, therefore, I still don't know why I'm still so passionate about this.

When Microslut decided to choose the HD-DVD format for their Xbox 360, I wasn't that worried or interested. At the time, I knew that I never wanted an Xbox 360 based solely on the fact that it was created by Microcrap. Since then I have changed my mind and now really really really really want an Xbox 360! Their HD-DVD add not needed to play games, so therefor, I still do not have to subscribe to their decision in the format wars. Just like the previous decades before in my own video gaming history... why choose one system over another... buy them all! So, eventually I hope to also have a PlayStation 3. Fortunately, PS3 comes with a Blu-Ray player built right in. At $400, its worth the investment even if you don't play video games. Win win.

Another reason why I find the format wars interesting is because I been through it before. I remember around 1985 when it was VHS vs. Beta. I remember thinking that Beta was cooler because of the smaller form factor. However, we did make the decision to by an VCR at the time because the rental stores didn't have as wide of selection in movies for the Beta format. Phew! We all know what happened there. So, I am blessed in a way that I couldn't be an early adopter with this new war, because I would hate to sink money into HD-DVD format when it could possibly be obsolete in a few years time.

Finally, everyone knows how big of an Apple fan I am. So, it is no surprise that knowing that Apple plans to use the Blu-Ray format in their computers is another huge ass plus in my book. I can't wait for the day to backup 50gbs onto a single disc.... mmmmm :)

I had to laugh recently because I was trying to explain all of this to a friend of mine. He said, "well, what is so great about that... you have to be within 10 feet of each other to transfer data". I screamed in return, "That's Bluetooth, not Blu-ray you !@%$#*"!

Though that was funny, it still is important part of the continuing format wars... there are still a lot of people out there that don't understand what the whole HD revolution is... by the time they do, a new standard will probably be announced. Case in point my mom still looks for things on VHS and tries to rewind DVDs before she returns them to the rental store!

Yes, I'm a proud geek!

Kev!

What is Blu-Ray :: http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

No comments: